Thursday, October 20, 2011

An open letter to David Cronenberg

Shame on you! I am not writing this to skewer a film or a director. That is neither my nature, nor my intent. So, as you read, if you feel I'm skewering, keep in mind that I have a deep respect for you, for film-making and film-makers, and I understand that I am completely green in big-budget deals with big budget casts, and directors who lose a bit of control on a project that they, initially, looked forward to touting in a new direction, bolstering the directional shifts they have built. Sometimes it works, sometimes, it becomes that shark in the water, and you are on that board, jumping away. I get it.

And that's what I understood from A Dangerous Method. I was lucky and excited to see the premiere tonight, thanks to a dear friend. I appreciated that, as the prospect of the film(as I always adore you for making films) was introduced, you affably(in tone) made apologies for the cast not being in attendance(an apology with a touch of privileged rancor that raised my eyebrows, but I don't attend premieres often, and certainly would not judge if the cast were not in attendance. I assume they are working.), So it began oddly. Twice the cast were admonished in apology that didn't seem like an apology. It was weird. Introductions always are, and you went on to say that the crux of this film is in the letters, as the original email, and that letters would be written in the morning, then responded to by the afternoon. Which, given distance, didn't make sense, but I got where you were going, and that you "weren't able to let these 5 characters die," despite the fact that the Freud/Jung/Sabine story is well known. That statement, in retrospect, should have been the first clue. But, again, I was honored to be there, and introductions to a new piece are always awkward. And it's Cronenberg, I both expect and revel in that awkwardness. Good things always ensue.

And so, the film began, only to clarify, right away, that this is no film. Perhaps it began that way- an exploration and expansion from a stage script, into a screenplay, known history, and all of that good stuff that has been explored for ages in multiple ways- Freud, Jung, psychotherapy,wellness, mania . My favorite exploration still lies with Erin Harper and Kate Hawley's interdisciplinary piece "Hysteria," back in the early days of Striding Lion in Chicago. No new territory for me, here. It's all documented with an expanse of interpretation. I was intrigued to see how it would unfold in this format. I was looking forward to a film.

Perhaps this was naive of me. I expected a film, and got a movie. That's fine. It also indicates that something was lost in the long line of producers, funding, bullshit and whatever else. Upon considering the whole of it, I'm wondering if the cast did not attend, not for busy schedules or lack of interest, but for not supporting a movie that they had expected to be a film, as well. Perhaps I'm giving them more credit than is due, but having none of the ensemble cast showing up for the premiere speaks volumes to me, after the fact. David Cronenberg, you are notorious for your unapologetic perspective, and revered for your horror history. To have the opportunity to work as an ensemble cast on a history as stringent, documented and notorious as the Freud/Jung/hysteria, directed by you- a dream!


And all of the actors worked their asses off. The performances were solidly based, but the focus of the piece was skewed and therefore hard to watch. I would have liked to appreciate Keira Knightley's performance, as she was working so hard and we don't get to see her acting often, but it was hard to watch, mainly because she is so painfully thin, and the sequences with her throughout the movie were filmed in an enlongated manner, despite the fact that her performance was intentionally grotesque. That is not fair. Note to directors: actors, unless you're the dude who played Angel in Buffy the Vampire Slayer, want to act, which was clearly her compulsion. She is a thin lady to begin with, but her weight loss for this film was jarring and uncomfortable. I am not faulting her for this, as given the same project, the physique is the same as I would have chosen, but as a viewer, and an actor, the expanse of the film showed no change, either in wardrobe or editing, to take into account that her character evolved. That is both a problem and concern and an exploitation of what she gave to you. I don't mind that there was no aging in the expanse of years that were covered here, when it came to Freud and Jung. That can make sense and be forgiven. However, particularly with the female characters, who are depended upon to shift and change, both emotionally and physically in the vast wasteland of the world explored... One was completely ignored, the other completely exploited. I couldn't even watch the movie as a whole. I was fuming. I couldn't pick up the humor, the stark themes or the sentiment. They were muddled, jumbled, and trying too hard to be proposed as clear, with at least one cast member dangerously dying before our eyes. And that wasn't in the script.

I left this movie not thinking about the movie, but angry that a director I have so appreciated could care so little about his cast and his work to allow it to be presented in this form. Sure- there are funny moments. You always have them. Yes, there are some catch phrases and gorgeous images. Costumes are intricate and beautiful. But care about your cast, as well. If the film you intended is not ready, don't just put out the movie yet, David Cronenberg. Take your time. You deserve it. So do we. And, yes, if there is a pompous line in you that insists that your actors were lucky to work with you, and you're annoyed they didn't show up- that is founded... but anyone watching your movie tonight is less concerned about your annoyance and more concerned about your lead actress being healthy. That concern is all physical imagery, not script, and perhaps something to put into your toolbox, because she's about to enter a world of hollywood tabloid hurt on her physical stature, which will override the fact that she worked really hard to act for you.

No comments: