Thursday, January 15, 2009

Baby, it's cold outside...




So...my thesis semester is about to begin at Columbia, and I've spent much of the holiday season working with the dynamics of my thesis proposal, which goes a little like this...

Abstract:
Loss is Expected is an installation manipulated by direction, chance and discovery designed to examine public and personal atmospheres charged by motion, triggers, patterns and anchors.

This project is inspired by  the impetus of motion, the ideals that anchor both the cities and the individuals who exist within them, and the quest for discovering a personal world in a public sphere. 

I looked to my own life, and the cities in which I have lived-Kent, Ohio, NYC, Memphis, TN, and Chicago, Il. What struck me is that all of these cities have a significant common thread; each city has had an event, or series of events, that significantly changed the direction of the city. One city completely changed, another froze in time, one stopped to consider, and another constantly reaches for the spotlight. I applied these directional shifts to my own journey, and the movement I see to all sides of the path I have have been building. I've been revisiting the things I've kept with me-the photos,  journals, letters, trinkets, and common objects infused with memories, moments and revelry, to see where those lead now, in this time and place, only to understand that all of these things actually led here. It's a common journey, colored with experience, one that is directed by shifts and choices. Atmosphere is everything. 


No comments: